Planning your edible landscape is key to your success. Emily Plants suggests thinking about the following:
- What plants do you like to eat? What are your favorite fruits? Are you willing to try some unusual fruits that are very low maintenance?
- Is there an accessible water source nearby?
- Are soil type, climate, and exposure (sun, shade, and wind) appropriate for the plants that you want to grow? If you are unsure, please ask!
- Are there gas, electric, cable, water, sprinkler, or invisible fence lines in the area? If unsure, visit diggershotline.com or call 811 at least three working days before planting. They will mark most underground lines for free, except privately installed lines.
- Is the planting area accessible? Are all gates unlocked?